Top Programming Languages for Mobile App Development
According to the survey of the blue corona, people prefer to use smartphones more rather than using laptops, desktops or tablets. Cisco’s Visual Networking Index (VNI), says that the smartphone users will get doubled till 2022. Today, we’ll see top programming languages for mobile app development.
Smartphones are becoming not only the new digital hub but also the bridge to the physical world –Thomas Husson
In today technical world smartphone has become an essential part of our daily life. A good smartphone consists of good hardware, good operating system and a bunch of awesome application. Just imagine the need for an impressive application for Smartphone and demand of the mobile Application developers in the future.
It becomes important for the Mobile Application Developers to master the top programming languages for application development. I know its impossible to master all the programming languages, At least be the master of one good, stable, robust, portable and secure programming language.
But the question is which are the top programming languages for mobile app development?
Stay tuned till the end. Today I will be listing the top 5 programming languages for mobile app development. These languages will be useful for both the Android as well as IOS Developers.
Python is one of the most secure and stable interpreter level languages. When it comes to Mobile App Development it’s the UI and user experience that matters the most in the Application. Historically, python has no good story in GUI development. Thankfully the number of development and different framework has brought the python back in the mobile app development market. Kivy and BeeWare are two good and widely used python frameworks.
- Powerful High-level object-oriented language.
- Dynamic memory allocation
- Runtime application processing by the interpreter.
- Easy to learn and master.
- Cross platforms support (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc).
- Easy to read and simple syntax similar to the English language.
- Reduces the number of lines in the code.
- Scalable: Better structure and support to the large program
Some python based Mobile Apps:
- Instagram and more
WORA(Write Once Run anywhere) based Java language is the most used programming language for Mobile Application development. It’s well equipped with the large availability of open source libraries and APIs. Unlike Python and other languages, Java is not an interpreter-level language. Java code is first compiled and interpreted. But still, Java is platform independent language.
- High-level Object-oriented language.
- Platform independent: It runs on all the platforms.
- Huge Support to APIs for easier integration of program.
- It is easy-to-learn and masters the language.
- Hundreds of open source libraries available.
- Availability of Powerful IDEs for easy and error-free coding.
- Large community support.
Some Java-based Mobile Apps:
- NASA whirlwind
- Opera Mini
- Open Office
- Official WordPress app
Still after having a lot of merits still developers prefer using Kotlin over Java.
PHP(hypertext preprocessor) is the server-side scripting language basically designed for website development. PHP has good support for creating dynamic web pages but you can create a dynamic android or IOS application with the PHP.
- Interpreter level language
- Open Source, simple and fast
- Case Sensitive
- Platform Independent
- Flexible and Secure
- Built-in Error Reporting functionality
- Loosely Typed Language provide easy integration
- Provides Real-Time Access Monitoring facility.
Some famous PHP based mobile apps.
- Family Tree
Swift is considered as IOS Developers favorite language. It has a good APIs support for the Apple ecosystem. It was developed by Apple Inc. in 2014.
Swift means business.
Swift is fast, safe, modern, and a good level of interactivity in development. It provides a number of built-in functions such as closures, generics, and type inference to increase the ease of access for development. Swift is the combination of features of C and Objective-C. With the support of Cocoa and Cocoa Touch, Swift becomes the fastest growing language.
- It is fast, secure and interactive language.
- Protocol-oriented programming
- Swift is stable.
- Availability of Strong development platform for programming.
- Dynamic Memory management
- Powerful error handling
Some famous app in Swift
- Slideshare(iOS app)
- LinkedIn (IOS app)
- YouTube iOS client
- Hacker News
- WeChat (iOS app) and many more
Google is also considering to make Swift its first-class language instead of Java.
C# also known as C sharp is a very powerful and multi-paradigm programming language. Microsoft developed C# to develop stable applications for its ecosystem.C# is widely used in business productivity tools like Visual Studio, SharePoint. Office 365 etc.
Although a Windows Phone platform couldn’t prove to be game-changer in the mobile development industry. But still, C# is the perfect programming language to build a robust application. Android application can also be developed using C# using MonoDroid and Xamarin.
- Easy-to-use and a simple
- Can be compiled on a different computer platform.
- Access to .NET framework
- Typesafe language
- Scalable and Updateable and very fast
- Structured programming language
Some C# apps
- Microsoft Office
Above are just 5 programming languages for mobile app development but still, there are many more languages available for mobile application development. Choosing the right programming language for your application development is very important. Always think from the longer term development perspective. Stability and cross-platform support are very important in application development.
I hope you would have liked my post. For more updates stay tuned with pinprogram. Don’t forget to subscribe to PinProgram.