Infosys: All You Need to Know About the Company
Infosys Limited is a well-known brand in today’s IT sector. The second-largest Indian IT company by 2017 revenues and 596th largest public company in the world. On September 2018, their market capitalization was $44.32 billion. Today we will see “The Beginner’s Guide to Infosys” that is when the company started, how its name changes, the products, and services it provides, the revenue increment, its share value, technology they are working on, number of employees working etc.
Infosys was established in 1981 by seven engineers Narayan Murthy, Nandan Nilekani, N S Raghavan, S Gopalakrishnan, S D Shibulal, K Dinesh and Ashok Arora, all former employees of Patni Computer Systems in Pune, India, with an initial capital of US$250. It was registered as Infosys Consultants It became Private Limited on 2nd July 1981, the company changes its name to Infosys Technologies Private Limited in April 1992 and to Infosys Technologies Limited when it became a public limited company in June 1992. It was later renamed to Infosys Limited in June 2011.
Now the company has 37+ years of experience. The total revenue (LTM Q3 19) is US$11.54Bn, the company is present in 45 countries in today’s date, with more than 225k employees and 1,251 happy customers.
Initially, the company was started with Rs.10,000 investment which Murthy borrowed from his wife Sudha Murthy. The front room of Murthy’s home was the company’s first office, although the registered office was Raghavan’s home.
The share price surged to Rs.8100 by 1999 making it the costliest share on market at the time. At that time, Infosys was among the 20 biggest companies by market capitalization on NASDAQ. The ADR listing was shifted from NASDAQ to NYSE Euronext to give its European investors better access to its stock. Company’s annual revenue touched US$100 million in 1999, US$1 billion in 2004 and US$10 billion in 2017. On September 2018, their market capitalization was $44.32 billion. And in LTM Q3 19 is US$11.54Bn.
Infosys Vital Products
Infosys provides software development, maintenance, and independent validation services to companies in finance, insurance, manufacturing, and other domains.
One of its well-known product is Finacle which is a universal banking solution with various modules for retail & corporate banking.
Some of Infosys’s vital products are:
- NIA – Next Generation Integrated AI Platform (formerly known as Mana)
- Infosys Information Platform (IIP) – Analytics platform
- Panaya Cloud Suite
- Infosys Consulting – a global management consulting service.
- Edge Verve Systems which includes Finacle, a global banking platform.
Services provided by Infosys
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Commerce
- Digital Interactions
- AI & Automation
- Data Analytics
- Engineering Services
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Agile & DevOps
- API Economy & Microservices
- Digital Process Automation
- Mainframe Modernization
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Open Source Development and Migration
- Service Experience Transformation
- Workplace Transformation
- Cyber Security
Infosys has a total of 225,501 employees at the end of December 2018. Which belongs from 129 nationalities. Whereas in 2016 its 89% of employees were based in India. Now out of its total workforce, 79% are from software background 16% are working in BPM arm and the remaining 5% for work support and sales.
During the financial year of 2018 Infosys has a hiring rate of 4% out of its total application received not including its subsidiaries. The attrition rate of Infosys Ltd. Excluding its subsidiaries, for the financial year, 2018 was 16.4%. Infosys has its training center in Mysuru as the world’s largest corporate university.
From its establishment in 1981 till 2014, the CEOs of Infosys were its promoters, with N.R.Narayanmurthy leading the company in its 21 years. Dr. Vishal Sikka was the first non-promoter’s CEO of Infosys who worked for around 3 years. He resigned in August 2017.
|Narayan Murthy||1981 to March 2002|
|Nandan Nilekani||March 2002 to April 2007|
|S. Gopalakrishnan||April 2007 to August 2011|
|S. D. Shibulal||August 2011 to July 2014|
|Vishal Sikka||August 2014 to August 2017|
|UB Pravin Rao (interim)||August 2017 to December 2017|
|Salil S. Parekh||January 2018 onwards|
- 2006: Institute of Chartered Accountants of India included Infosys into Hall of Fame for being the winner of Best Presented Accounts for 11 consecutive years.
- 2017: HfS Research included Infosys in Winner’s Circle of HfS Blueprint for Managed Security Services, Industry 4.0 services, and Utility Operations.
- 2012: Infosys was ranked No. 19 amongst the world’s most innovative companies by Forbes. In the same year, Infosys was in the list of top twenty green companies in Newsweek‘s Green Rankings for 2012.
- In 2013, Infosys was ranked 18th largest IT services provider in the world by HfS Research.
The answer for most asked question by anyone i.e. how to get placed in Infosys and what is the process? Like others, Infosys has the same strict process for its recruitment that is
- Written test
- Logical Reasoning
- Verbal English
- Technical interview
- HR interview
- Must have 60% above in all academics from 10th standard onwards, If 12th or equivalent diploma has done then should secure minimum 60% aggregate (For OFF campus drive)
- Engineering graduate in the current year or previous year.
- BE/B.Tech/ME/M.Tech in any Disciplines (CSE,ECE,EEE,IT,Civil,Mechanical,etc).
- MSC with BSc/BCA/BCom/BA (with Math/Statistics Background).
- Sc in Computer Science/Information Technology.